50 survival tips for students
Through Quora, a list from 2006 resurfaced in which Ben Jones of MIT summarized 50 things which he considered important for anyone facing a college experience.
At the time, Ben Jones was Director of Communications at MIT Office of Admissions. Although he now works at his Alma Mater Oberlin College in Ohio, the MIT blog is still available at the web and offers a lot of interesting reading.
The 50 Things list, published on August 23, 2006, resurfaced as an answer to the Quora question What is some advice that most college students are not ever likely to hear? It deserves to be read and read again; as the father of two Swedish university students, I certainly emailed the link to them.
In the Crastina setting, I would especially like to point out thing #8. So true!
Recognize that [your professors] can learn from you too – in fact, that’s part of the reason they chose to be professors.
Addendum: we got in touch with Ben and he sent us a most friendly letter:
Dear Olle,Many thanks for your kind words! I remain amazed that after all this time people still find the post so relevant — I suppose it’s a testament to the fact that some of the most important things in a college experience are truly intergenerational. I wrote it in part for the incoming freshmen at MIT, but also in part for myself — it was a moment in time in which I was particularly nostalgic for my own college experience, and documenting my “50 things” was almost therapeutic. I’m so glad it’s still out there helping new generations of college-bound students shape the journey they want to create for themselves.All the best to you!Ben
- Claire Price of Crastina receives outreach award from Royal Society of Biology - October 25, 2020
- Agile Science student project at Brussels Engineering School ECAM: “We can’t wait to try it again!” - August 28, 2020
- Create an infographic in the Lifeology SciArt Infographic Challenge - June 16, 2020
- Adam Ruben – The scientist that teaches undergraduate students comedy - March 27, 2020
- Sam Gregson, Bad Boy of Science: “Comedy helps to bridge the gap” - March 10, 2020
- The Coolest Science Merchandise of 2019 - December 16, 2019
- Science Media Centre (UK) offers guide on dealing with online harassment in academia - November 26, 2019
- Agile project management taught to students and researchers at Karolinska Institutet - September 20, 2019
- Stefan Jansson: Improve your credibility! (Crastina Column, September 2019) - September 6, 2019
- The People’s Poet: Silke Kramprich, tech communicator - August 31, 2019
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!