Through Quora, a list from 2006 resurfaced in which Ben Jones of MIT summarized 50 things which he considered important for anyone facing a college experience.
At the time, Ben Jones was Director of Communications at MIT Office of Admissions. Although he now works at his Alma Mater Oberlin College in Ohio, the MIT blog is still available at the web and offers a lot of interesting reading.
The 50 Things list, published on August 23, 2006, resurfaced as an answer to the Quora question What is some advice that most college students are not ever likely to hear? It deserves to be read and read again; as the father of two Swedish university students, I certainly emailed the link to them.
In the Crastina setting, I would especially like to point out thing #8. So true!
Recognize that [your professors] can learn from you too – in fact, that’s part of the reason they chose to be professors.
Addendum: we got in touch with Ben and he sent us a most friendly letter:
Dear Olle,Many thanks for your kind words! I remain amazed that after all this time people still find the post so relevant — I suppose it’s a testament to the fact that some of the most important things in a college experience are truly intergenerational. I wrote it in part for the incoming freshmen at MIT, but also in part for myself — it was a moment in time in which I was particularly nostalgic for my own college experience, and documenting my “50 things” was almost therapeutic. I’m so glad it’s still out there helping new generations of college-bound students shape the journey they want to create for themselves.All the best to you!Ben
- Announcing the winners in The Crastina Science Haiku Competition 2016 - May 23, 2019
- The Little Book of Neuroscience Haiku – an educational book about the brain - May 20, 2019
- Science to Poetry and Back – a reflection by Ushashi Basu - May 13, 2019
- The Crastina Column: Put back the “I’ in science – a poetical plea - April 24, 2019
- Kolisa Yola Sinyanya, Cape Town: ‘I won their hearts with SciComm!’ - March 21, 2019
- Global Lab – building Ghana’s open science and innovation community. - February 25, 2019
- TCC in Nairobi teaches effective communication to scientists - January 25, 2019
- The beginning of a new era: science communication in Africa - January 13, 2019
- TAP helps prospective students choose dream university - January 4, 2019
- Meet Sarang Park – manager of @IAmSciComm - September 28, 2018