Registration opens for EvoKE 2017, a meeting which will bring together researchers, educators, policy makers, media and museum professionals to discuss the public understanding of evolution in Europe. The meeting will take place in Porto, Portugal on February 6-8th 2017.
Understanding evolution is crucial for European citizens to make informed decisions on important issues ranging from antibiotic resistance to the consequences of climate change. Yet, many Europeans do not understand and/or do not accept evolution. A better understanding is of particular importance in our times, where humans are able to sculpt the course
of evolution using genetic methods, e.g. in medicine or plant breeding.
The 2017 EvoKE meeting will bring together a wide range of stakeholders, from professional research societies to science educators and science communicators to try and find answers to these questions:
- What outreach, education, media and policy actions are needed to increase the public’s literacy in evolution?
- Which practices are known to be the most effective for promoting the public understanding of evolution?
- What collaborative projects can be initiated between researchers, educators and communicators to increase the public scientific literacy on evolution?
For more information and to register visit www.evokeproject.org
Registration is open from 1st September until 7th November 2016.
Source: EvoKE 2017 press release
- The song of plankton – “visualizing” big data as music - April 9, 2018
- Darwin Day celebrated to promote public understanding of evolution - February 12, 2018
- Crastina Column, Sep–Oct 2017: Can a simple card game help us see things from ”the other’s” point of view? - September 19, 2017
- Talking science from the top of a soap box - February 13, 2017
- Science Gingerbread competition - December 13, 2016
- Dance your PhD – 2016 edition open for registration - September 14, 2016
- EvoKE 2017 – bringing together stakeholders for public understanding of evolution - September 8, 2016
- New MSc course in science communication in Manchester - July 26, 2016
- Communicating Cannabis science in a women’s professional network - May 10, 2016
- Darwin day celebrated all over the world on February 12 - February 6, 2016