With the hashtag #academicswithbeer, all the beer loving academics out there may now get in touch on Twitter. The initiative was taken by Elena Milani (@biomug) and Cristina Rigutto (@cristinarigutto) – two Italian academics with a passion for both beer and scicomm.
Hi Elena! What is #academicswithbeer and how did you get the idea?
#academicswithbeer is a way to engage scholars in Twitter focusing on a common interest: beer!
I got the idea while drinking beer (beer makes me creative) and chatting about social media with Cristina Rigutto. As we were focusing on tools of engagement she jokingly send me a funny pic of herself drinking beer, and I commented back: “your are an #academicswithbeer!”. As soon as I sent the message, I realized two things:
- All the academics I know drink beer
- There were no hashtag linking beer and academics
So I started one (using Cristina’s photo) with the purpose of engaging other scholars.
How has the response been so far?
- Tweets 160
- Contributors 87
- Total audience 77.527
- Total impressions 239.158
- Claire Price of Crastina receives outreach award from Royal Society of Biology - October 25, 2020
- Agile Science student project at Brussels Engineering School ECAM: “We can’t wait to try it again!” - August 28, 2020
- Create an infographic in the Lifeology SciArt Infographic Challenge - June 16, 2020
- Adam Ruben – The scientist that teaches undergraduate students comedy - March 27, 2020
- Sam Gregson, Bad Boy of Science: “Comedy helps to bridge the gap” - March 10, 2020
- The Coolest Science Merchandise of 2019 - December 16, 2019
- Science Media Centre (UK) offers guide on dealing with online harassment in academia - November 26, 2019
- Agile project management taught to students and researchers at Karolinska Institutet - September 20, 2019
- Stefan Jansson: Improve your credibility! (Crastina Column, September 2019) - September 6, 2019
- The People’s Poet: Silke Kramprich, tech communicator - August 31, 2019